List or amend your home.


See your listing activity.


See your listing performance.


Stay organised with your checklist.


your current plan and upgrade options.


Price research - help to vlaue your property.


Stay organised with your checklist.


Get a free no obligation mortgage approval.


Properties you have saved for later.


Saved searches. Get e-mailed when new properties match.


your plans and upgrades.


your registered delivery address.


Update your profile details.


Your account and password change.

Sellers, you need a habitation certificate (Cédula de Habitilidad)

If you are about to list your property for sale on our site, you first of all need to make sure you have a valid habitation certificate (Cédula de Habitabilidad).


If you are reselling a property that is less than 5 years old, chances are you have the Licencia de Primera Ocupación which your builder would have supplied to you. You now need. to apply for the secondary occupacion certificate (generally referred to by most as the habitation certificate).

If you are the second, or greater owner, and you have had the property less than 10 years, you may well already have the habitation certificate (the person who sold to you should have provided) and it may still be valid, though if you have made structural changes to the property or grounds you will need to get this updated.


If you are a buyer, the seller should give this to you when you purchase, and also make available to view so you can check that all is in order. You’ll also need this to reassign utilities and make an application for a mortgage.

Ordinarily the seller will pay for and provide this, though if the period of validity of the certificate is short, you should ask for a more up to date one.

If the validity of the certificate has more than 5 years, but want to insist on a new one, you might be expected to pay for this.

Some important points

  • A pre-requisite for selling and marketing your property.
  • New up to date certificates are generally valid for 10 years.
  • Seller must provide to buyer or renter.
  • Certifies that the building can be lived in and meets all local and national regulations.
  • Needs to change names on utility suppliers.
  • Needed for mortgage applications.
  • Needed for inheritance.
  • Is requested at local Town Hall along with architects report/certificate if applying for an updated certificate.
  • Town hall might provide a copy/duplicate (free) if there is still certification in force.

Find out how

Read our other article on how you might achieve this yourself.

Help us improve

We hope you've enjoyed this article. If you feel we've missed something out, do let us know by feeding back and we will update to make it better for others.

Featured and latest properties

Compare listings


Feedback to 

Find special pre-opening voucher codes on our Facebook group for sellers who list with us now.

Whilst you’re here why not join our Facebook group too?

Also follow and like our business page